What to Keep in Your Car for EmergenciesPosted on January 30, 2014 by ECR Louisville in Blog
When you get into an emergency in your car, you can’t always predict what you’re going to need. That’s why it’s always a good idea to keep a few select items in your vehicle at all times. This way, if you get into an emergency—be it an accident, a breakdown, or an ice storm like parts of the country have been experiencing this winter—you’ll be able to rest assured that you can stay safe.
Here, we’ve put together this handy list of items that can help you in the event of any kind of automotive emergency.
- Hazard triangles or flares. If you get into an accident, breakdown, or are forced to stop your vehicle somewhere that isn’t entirely out of traffic’s flow, you can use these hazard triangles to alert other motorists to your presence.
- Flashlight and batteries. A flashlight can’t do any good if you don’t have batteries for it, so be sure that you have them handy—and double check them every now and then to ensure that they are still functional.
- Blankets. If you’re stuck or stranded and it’s cold out, you’ll be thankful you stocked your vehicle with blankets. Extra clothes can come in handy, too.
- Bag of kitty litter or sand and a small shovel. This will come in handy if the roads are icy and you get stuck. You can put down kitty litter or sand to help your tires find traction on the slick streets.
- Jumper cables. If your car won’t start, it will be much easier to get it running again if you have jumper cables. These can also come in handy if you ever need to assist fellow motorists whose vehicles aren’t starting.
- Roadside assistance membership card. To make sure you can stay safe and extricate yourself from any emergency situation, it’s a good idea to have a membership with a roadside assistance service.
Keeping these things stocked in your vehicle at all times will go a long way to help with your emergency preparedness! This way, if you get into an automotive accident, or your vehicle breaks down, or you are stranded in an ice storm, you’ll be able to remain safe and sound.
Want to learn more about how to stay prepared in the event of an automotive emergency? The friendly staff at Hawthorne Chevrolet is happy to help you out. Just visit our Hawthorne, NJ dealership today for more tips and tricks on staying safe.
About The Author: