Geriatric care managers can lighten the heavy load of caregivingPosted on November 30, 2013 by ECR Louisville in Blog, Caregiver Education, Home Care Non-Medical, Home Health Care (Medical), Hospice & Palliative Care, Hospitals, Nursing Homes
Thank you Thomas Russell of Louisville, Kentucky for finding this article.
Posted: Tuesday, November 19, 2013 12:00 am | Updated: 7:49 am, Tue Nov 19, 2013.
Dear Doctor K: Taking care of my elderly father, with his complicated medical care, has become more than I can handle. A friend suggested I hire a geriatric care manager. How can this person help?
Dear Reader: Geriatric care managers are jacks-of-all-trades. Their training may include nursing, social work, counseling or gerontology.
- Evaluating needs: Determining how independent your parent is in the activities of daily living, such as changing clothes, bathing, getting to the bathroom, making meals, and so forth;
- Connecting people to helpful services, senior housing and long-term care facilities;
- Bringing families together to discuss options supportively;
- Hiring and monitoring home-care personnel, hospital and home-care staff, and family members;
- Recognizing and finding ways to circumvent financial, medical or legal problems.
Working with a geriatric care manager can be costly but extremely helpful. Geriatric care managers usually charge by the hour. Rarely is the cost paid by long-term-care insurance; more commonly, the client or family pays. Be sure to get a written agreement outlining the scope of services offered and costs. This can also help you decide which tasks might be undertaken by family and friends to save money.
I’ve put a copy of a “Needs Questionnaire” on my website, AskDoctorK.com Answering this questionnaire will help you identify areas of caregiving that are problematic for you.
After you complete this form, you can take it to a geriatric care manager for discussion. He or she can help you put together a personalized plan for caregiving.
To locate a geriatric care manager in your area, contact the National Association of Professional Geriatric Care Managers (www.caremanager.org).
Write Dr. K at www.AskDoctorK.com or c/o Universal Uclick, 1130 Walnut, Kansas City, MO 64106